Monday, May 17, 2010

Having been through this stage of 'waiting for Comrades' before, I now know that when I feel out of breath going up stairs is no indicator of my running fitness. Feeling like I am going to pass out after 2 km's is also just a way my body is trying to mess with my head about running a lot more than that! So I keep my chin up, and eyes straight to remind me that there is indeed a world out there waiting to be seen, by me, on foot!!!




I met up with some of my running friends on Saturday which was nice, as I hadn't seen them for a while, and it made for a nice catch-up while out dodging traffic. The wind was blustering at first, and for a moment we thought winter had arrived, but it was just a short trailer of what May come (groan!) The later start means our suburb is rather busy with the hustle and bustle of cars. I am very happy to see that some of our potholes have been repaired. However the sad consequences of that is that I realised that people dodge more for potholes than for runners! Once again, ladies, you have let me down. Perhaps I could put it down to the judging of distance, however it may well be the cellphone you are trying to send messages on, that is clouding your vision! Many a time I tested my hopping reflex, as I realised that the car is not going to budge, so it's best that I clear the way! That was even in broad daylight, can't even blame the dark! Sigh!



So less than 2 weeks to go, and I find myself looking over last years photo's and feeling chuffed that I am healthy and able to do this all again. One of the comments seen on Facebook to a friend was 'You thank yourself for not putting your body through that torture....have you ever seen a healthy looking long distance runner? you made the right choice...' To which of course, I HAD to reply, that I am a long distance runner, and I am healthy looking!

It is strange that I am this side of that argument though, because at my sister's first Comrades six years ago, I was thinking along those lines of torture, craziness, and never-ending pain too.

What I had never experienced that side of the argument was the camaraderie, the spirit, the joy, the humour, the support, the views, the love from strangers, the pride in strangers eyes, the hope, the fears, the sharing, the conversations, the constant motion, the pleasure, the ubuntu, the surprise, the ecstasy when you see Pinetown, the glee when you realise Durban is just ahead, the smells, the families sitting on couches by the roadside cheering, the moments when you catch a cheering stranger's eyes, and words can't express what the connections mean, and of course that heartbusting feeling when you enter that stadium. This side of the argument feels so much better, and I am so glad that I am facing this 'ultimate human' test again!



Roll on the 30th!

No comments: